Saturday 12 May 2018

Major Project - 3D Print Attempt 1.

I wanted a 3D print of my model for potential display at events and for my own personal display, I thought there might be some form of cathartic release from seeing my model physically in the scale of an actual airfix, so a couple of weeks ago I sent a variation of my model to 3Dhubs to get printed.

Even though I am really happy with how convincing and accurate the overall model looks, there have unfortunately been some flaws in the printing that means i'm not happy with displaying this print of the model, and will make some changes to the design for a another attempt after this weekend.






Interior cockpit details printed nicely but windshield was inconsistent.



Random hole on the right side, will make the walls thicker on the back.


One of the props failed to print.


I tried printing it in its "Grounded" state with the gear down but apparently the landing gear was too fragile, will try to amend this by either adding some support or folding the gear in and printing a stand for it.


Comparison to an actual Airfix spitfire.


2 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome dude. I don't know if 3dhubs has this, but Shapeways checks the model for line thickness and faults before they print it for you.

    I've started doing some sculpting on the side and opened up a small shop with them, and their print quality, as well as selection of materials is really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not line thickness, duh! Wall thickness.

      Delete